Out of State Adoption Policy
We adopt within the state of Georgia. We will ONLY consider out of state applications for former GRRA Adopters. Adoption fees are non-refundable. If you are seeking Golden Retriever rescue groups in your state, the Golden Retriever Rescue Network website has a list of rescues organized by state.
Please direct all questions regarding the application process to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Things to Consider Before Adopting
- Golden Retrievers and most GRRA dogs are very active dogs (especially when young) and will require significant daily exercise and ongoing training.
- Goldens shed year-round.
- Goldens are large dogs and may jump and knock down children or the elderly.
- Good dog care in our area can cost $1,200 annually. This includes annual vet care, inoculations, parasite testing, monthly heartworm & flea preventative, quality dog food, toys, miscellaneous equipment, boarding/kennel fees, grooming and other supplies. This does not include any injuries, or illnesses the dog may incur.
- Applicants with children under six years of age are required to have a physical fence to be approved.
About the Adoption Process
Thank you for your interest in adopting a Golden Retriever from GRRA. If you are able to provide the special home a rescued Golden Retriever deserves, we hope to be able to match you with the right dog.
Please complete the application form below and submit a $50 application fee payment. This fee is non-refundable and all proceeds directly benefit the GRRA rescue dogs.
A GRRA Adoption Consultant will contact you to explain the adoption process and help you determine what dog attributes and personalities are best suited for your home.
The Adoption Consultant will also arrange for a GRRA volunteer to visit your home. This step is required and further helps us make perfect matches between people and rescued dogs. Reference checks may also be conducted.
The GRRA Foster Volunteers carefully review applications and other relevant information to identify applicants who are potential matches for the dogs in their care.
Your Adoption Consultant will inform you of GRRA dogs that may be potential matches for you, and coordinate meetings when appropriate.
Current GRRA adoption fees are as follows:
- Under 1 year old: $800
- 1 to under 5 years old: $650
- 5 to under 10 years old: $500
- Over 10 years old: $150
- Senior dog (Over 10 years old) to senior applicant (Over 70 years old): No charge
* The average cost to GRRA for vetting dogs and the medical care given to each dog to prepare them for adoption is significantly more than the adoption fees. The difference is subsidized by donations and grants. Over 95% of all monies received directly benefit the dogs, mostly for medical procedures and behavioral training. The remainder covers necessary business expenses such as licenses, permits and volunteer insurance. Any and all additional contributions are very much appreciated!
If there are exceptions to this fee schedule for a specific dog, that information will be posted on the dog's profile page.